"Can I Get A Divorce If I Don't Know Where My Spouse Is?"

      Yes, Mississippi law provides that you can get a divorce by publishing in the local paper a "Summons", which is usually personally served on the other party at the beginning of a divorce.  However, the Court cannot divide marital property or rule on custody and visitation issues, just the divorce itself.

"What Is The Difference Between An Annulment And A Divorce?"

     The difference is a basic but important one.  An Annulment means that the marriage was void from the start, in other words, there was never a marriage in the first place.  A Divorce means that, regardless of how long it lasted, there was once a marriage.  The difference can have significant property division consequences.    (See further treatment under our "Divorce Section" and in our "Family Law Cases Of Interest.")

"How Much Does An Uncontested Divorce Cost?"

     Uncontested Divorces, Without children, Cost $750.00.   Uncontested Divorces, With Children, Cost $1,250.00.  Filing Fees that have to be paid to the Court Clerk when you file it are around $150.00 for most counties.

"How Much Does A Contested Divorce Cost?"

     We can usually only give an accurate estimate after the initial conference.  This is because there are a number of factors to be considered, including whether child custody is an issue, property and other assets to be divided, alimony, if any, to be sought or defended, and other financial issues.  We can give you a fair price once we find these things out.

"Am I Entitled To Alimony?"

    Most attorneys with experience in Family Law will tell you this is one of the most difficult questions to answer.  There are so many factors involved, and even differences of opinion among judges themselves, that is hard to predict an amount, or whether one is even entitled to it at all.

"My Ex-Husband Has Stopped Paying Child Support.  What Can I Do?"

     You can file a "Contempt Of Court" action against him, and get a judgement for back child support.  The Courts also have the option of putting the deadbeat dad in Jail, if it finds his actions are wilful and without excuse.  He will usually have to pay a lump sum to get out of jail.  He cannot bond out or get out of jail until he complies with whatever the judge orders.